Tuesday, December 7, 2010

INSPIRATION #10 Bikram Yoga



The mind, body, soul connection is one of the most important aspect of a healthy human life. I have had the good fortune of trying out different types of physical exercises over the years. Throughout my teens it was basket ball that was my one and all. Besides swimming, gymnastics, badminton and tennis.

When I tired of spending most of my time in sports centers, and gained interest in other forms of social activities, I started running for exercise. Because I grew up with sport I found that my body needed some form of heavy physical exercise. In my mid twenties I discovered yoga along with a lot of my friends. The yoga wave seems to be flourishing everywhere on the planet at the moment, which is very exciting.



Some take to yoga easily and others who are less subtle (like me) find it rather hard and un-relaxing to begin with. Luckily I got through that initial phase of pain and had a steady period of practicing Astanga Yoga whilst living in Copenhagen, Denmark. Astanga is a harder form of yoga which builds strength and flexibility simultaneously.  But when I moved back to London my practice faded and it was expensive for me to continue, so it stopped.

Now however I am living in New York and have found a Bikram Yoga studio close by: Bikram Williamsburg. Now before I start raving about Bikram here is a short introduction below...



BIKRAM ! !  I love it. From my first session I was hooked. The hot room makes you sweat like a pig, but you move much faster into the positions and get further into the positions quickly. The hot room also protects your muscles and allows you to build strength and flexibility and prevent injuries. It is the absolute best form of yoga I have tried. It is also extremely meditative and you grow in focus every time.



Out of two months of practicing Bikram I have seen the biggest change in my body I have ever achieved in such a short space of time. I feel amazing and energized throughout the day after a Bikram class.
I can only recommend you get into that hot room as soon as possible and witness the benefits yourself.

The other day my Bikram teacher Jessica came up to me, after class and complimented me on my progress. She said she could really see how I was gaining strength. Wow it was so nice to hear that it's not only me noticing the changes... And I might add, my husband also keeps saying how amazingly fit I look (and he has to look at me every day) so I guess that is also a big selling point. Right enough said. Get into a Bikram class and experience for yourself.



These are the 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises lasting exactly 90 minutes.




This is the goal... I didn't even know this was possible with the human body. Incredible.

No comments: